Thursday, September 1, 2022

Q&A with Annette Chavez Macias

 


 

 

Annette Chavez Macias is the author of the new novel Big Chicas Don't Cry. She also writes romance novels under the name Sabrina Sol. She lives outside Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Big Chicas Don't Cry?

 

A: The beginnings of the story actually came to me in a dream. There was one scene I couldn’t get out of my head so I decided to write it down and then that triggered more and more scenes. I had always wanted to be a published author, but never really pursued that goal until then. It is the first book I ever seriously attempted to write.

 

Ironically, that scene is no longer part of the book, but the basic premise of the novel has never changed – a look into a year in the life of four Mexican-American cousins as they navigate their relationships with each other and their great-grandmother.


Q: How would you describe the dynamic among your characters, cousins Mari, Erica, Selena, and Gracie?

 

A: In my large extended family, my cousins were my first best friends. And that’s how I pictured these characters. Even though they’re related by blood, they had to make the choice of whether to stay close as adults. Family ties can sometimes be messy and complicated. But for these characters (and for me too), family can also help pull you through some of the darkest times of your life.


Q: The Publishers Weekly review of the book says, in part, “Chavez Macias loads her well-rounded story with charismatic characters, vivid descriptions, and appealing cultural specificity. This is a treat.” What do you think of that assessment?

 

A: I was really flattered by that assessment and the overall review, especially because it took so long to get this book into the hands of readers. I had received several rejections over the years from both agents and editors and almost gave up trying to get the novel published.

 

But this is the book of my heart and I just couldn’t forget about it. Because even though the story is fictional, it is definitely personal. I can’t describe how much it means to me when I see reviews like this one.


Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I did not know how it would end before I started writing. In fact, lots of the original story changed over the years (I started writing this all the way back in 2011!). I like to think that once I started writing, the characters came to life and guided me on how to tell their individual journeys.


Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I just finished writing my second women’s fiction novel for Montlake and am in the middle of drafting a new romance book.


Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I’m also a published romance author under the pen name Sabrina Sol. For readers looking for guaranteed Happily Ever Afters, I hope they’ll take a chance on those books too!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment