Thursday, August 27, 2026

Q&A with Sandra Mercer

  


 

 

Sandra Mercer is the author of the new children's picture book The Jewelry Tree. She lives in North Carolina.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Jewelry Tree?

 

A: The Jewelry Tree was inspired by a tender family memory. My older, and very imaginative brother created this backyard experience when I was about 10 years old that involved displaying our mother's costume jewelry from one of our backyard trees.

 

He hung Mom's necklaces, bracelets, clip-on earrings and brooches from its branches and told his younger siblings that we had a tree that was actually "growing" jewelry. Eventually most of our neighborhood friends heard of this and our yard became quite the playground!

 

Q: What do you think Gustavo Berado’s illustrations add to the story?

 

A: Gustavo's illustrations captured the vision in my mind, but I would not have been able to create these images on my own. I loved his sketches from the beginning, and he was incredibly patient with my suggestions, especially when it came time to add color.

 

I wanted to be sure that his images of 13 Madison Road, the street that I grew up on, was as close as possible to the way I remembered it from so many years ago.

 

My favorite illustration is the two-page spread of me and my family. That is most endearing. I love how he captured my dad in the vintage lawn chair reading a newspaper wearing those very retro eyeglasses and Mom holding my youngest sister.

 

Q: The story is set in 1968--how would you contrast childhood in that era to childhood today?

 

A: Most of my childhood was spent outdoors, even when the weather was unfavorable. Watching TV after school was rare and as I wrote in the book, there was always someone to play with. I recall being outside until the streetlights came on. I'd return home for supper, do my dinner chores, then head back outside to play again even on school nights.

 

Technology has its merits. My grandkids both have an iPad & Nintendo, but they are no substitute for real playmates and outdoor exploration!

 

In The Jewelry Tree, I wanted to celebrate that connection with nature and imagination that was so much a part of my childhood. Those are the moments we remember, not how many faux prizes we may have won in a video game.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A:I hope when adults read The Jewelry Tree, they are reminded of a simpler time and embrace its nostalgia. I'd love to imagine that the story sparks conversations around backyard creativity, family life, and the importance of community.

 

If children ask if they can "grow" their own jewelry tree after hearing the story, I hope there is an adult or older sibling that can make that happen for them!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: My brother, Bobby, the inspiration behind The Jewelry Tree, also planted an idea in my head years ago, so I'm playing around with a holiday story called The Misfit Evergreens, another memoir!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Nostalgia is a reminder you've lived a life worth cherishing. What a privilege to yearn for your own memories.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment