Kat Mackenzie is the author of the new novel Experiments in Offline Dating. She also has written the novel Work in Progress.
Q: What inspired you to write Experiments in Offline Dating, and how did you create your character Maya?
A: Ireland has an annual Matchmaking Festival that has been going on for generations, and I thought it was just too good an opportunity for a romcom writer to ignore.
Maya came to me with time. I knew I wanted an FMC who had a strong sense of self, was independent, and confident. Because she has a dating podcast where she goes on loads of terrible dates, I wanted that to be a source of joy, experimentation, and comedy for her, rather than make her feel hopeless, unlovable, or self-conscious.
Q: In the book’s acknowledgments, you note that the character of Jackie was inspired by a real matchmaker--can you say more about that?
A: Absolutely! Ireland’s most famous matchmaker is named Willie Daly and matchmaking has been in his family for generations. I did my research, read some articles about him, and sent him an email.
We met up multiple times when I was traveling Ireland for research, and he is every bit the character you might imagine - a man full of stories and mischief. He’s an utter delight.
He has a book of his own called The Last Matchmaker, which are tales about his life. The book is lyrical, nostalgic, and a work of beauty. Everyone should read it!
Q: How would you describe the relationship between Maya and Tadhg?
A: I designed them to be characters who didn’t need to change that much. I liked the idea of reading a romance about two people who are complete, happy, successful adults, that are satisfied in their lives and completely fine with being single.
The challenge for them is in recognizing that they are, in fact, falling in love, and making room in their lives for one another.
Q: What was your favorite part of the research for this novel?
A: I’m a travel fiend, and I research every location I write about in person! If I name a restaurant, a pub, a shop, or a historical site in my book, it’s a real place that you can look up online and go to yourself. I love to be able to eat an incredible meal at a tiny local restaurant in Ireland and tell the world about it!
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I’m dabbling a little bit. I’ve written a very comedy-forward, witchy, cozy romantasy that I’m super excited about! My agent is currently on sub with it. There may also be another travel romcom after my trip to Italy this September. I will be eating all of the food and drinking all of the wine, just in case!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I did not, despite my best efforts, find an Irish husband. Yet.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Kat Mackenzie.


No comments:
Post a Comment