Ana Punset is the author of the new children's chapter book Unicornia: Camping in the Clouds, the latest in her Unicornia series. She lives in Barcelona, Spain.
Q: How did you initially create the world of Unicornia, and how did you come up with your cast of characters?
A: To create the world of Unicornia, I imagined what a place that sheltered the world's most magical animal—the unicorn—would be like. And so, I began to give shape to all those elements I would love to see become real, even though they are somewhat impossible in our own world.
When creating the characters, I always ensure they have distinct personalities so that they complement one another. Claudia is the protagonist, since she is the one telling the stories. But her friends play a fundamental role in every adventure, just as their unicorns do. They are also essential to Claudia’s personal growth, which is why each one brings a different perspective to any challenge.
Q: What inspired the latest in the series, Camping in the Clouds?
A: The central theme of Camping in the Clouds is the fear of the dark. This is something very familiar to me as a mother. My son has never liked the nighttime, and this is something many young children experience.
With this story, I sought to craft a fun, magical yet everyday adventure to address a delicate subject that children could relate to and enjoy at the same time. My aim was to show that the dark, for all the unknowns it might seem to hold, also has a positive and necessary side.
Q: Do you usually know how your books will end, or do you make many changes along the way?
A: Before I start writing any story, I work out a very clear structure for how it will unfold so that I know where I want to end up. I prepare a preliminary outline of each chapter, which allows me to see, at a high level, whether the plot works.
However, as I write, new elements emerge that I hadn't anticipated, and I often find myself compelled to make necessary changes. There have been times when I’ve practically rewritten an entire book after thinking it was finished, simply because I realized something was still not quite right.
Even so, I believe that all the preparatory work, weighing up different choices and discarding some, makes it easier for me to reach the final result.
Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story?
A: I simply hope my stories allow readers to enjoy the experience, to see them as a window into an incredible world they won't want to leave.
I also like the idea that, once the book is finished, beneath all the adventure, it leaves a lasting impression on the reader, a mark that prompts them to reflect and learn a value or grasp a concept they might not have previously considered or understood.
Q: What are you working on now? What’s next in the series?
A: In Spain, the 18th Unicornia book centers on Christmas. It will go on sale this coming November. However, I am already writing the 19th book, due out in March and themed around Easter eggs. The 17th book features a rather unique rock concert and will be in Spanish bookstores this September.
As you can see, the lead times are long because, after I finish my part, a great many people are involved in making sure these books look as spectacular as they do when they reach readers' hands.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I simply want to express my gratitude for the extraordinary reception
Unicornia is having with English-speaking readers around the world, and to all
the families who have chosen to be part of this magical universe.
I am incredibly lucky to work with a publisher like Walker Books and Candlewick, which puts as much care into producing the books as I do into creating the stories. None of this would be possible without the incredible work Penguin Random House does from Spain to ensure my books cross borders. I feel truly fortunate. Thanks a million!
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment