Rachel Peterson is the author of the new young adult novel Killing Sadie. She lives in Manhattan and in the Midwest.
Q: What inspired you to write Killing Sadie?
A: I grew up in the small-town Midwest, and I was fascinated from an early age with the theatrical idea of how these quaint towns operate: completely normal on the surface, yet dig a little deeper, and a single action can set the town on (figurative) fire.
A little dramatic for a teen, I know, but as a theater kid with a wild imagination, this was the kind of idea my friends and I were obsessed with!
I think imagining what would happen if you take a hard left when others take a right is something so universal to the teenage experience. Killing Sadie – the thriller where everyone is lying – leans into all of these themes, just with the volume dialed way up.
Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?
A: I adore this question, and it certainly speaks to my writing style! With Killing Sadie, the ending was locked in (no spoilers: the book title is very accurate), but how we were going to get there was a blank slate.
I love to let my characters surprise me, so while I tend to start with general outlines before writing sessions, each character took on a personality of their own as the story progressed. And really, these are characters readers will adore one moment and absolutely loathe the next!
Something fun to note for Killing Sadie is that I wrote each character while listening to a different playlist. For example, Jayne is a post-punk and alternative girl. Ben is totally country.
Q: The Kirkus Review of the book called it a “stone-cold shocker of a tale.” What do you think of that description?
A: One word: Perfection! As a thriller author, it was music to my ears. The only thing I may add is that readers should have a blast uncovering who really killed Sadie Cooper – hunting for clues, racing their friends to solve the case first, having a laugh and enjoying the wild ride of this “stone-cold shocker of a tale”!
Q: Can you say more about what you hope readers take away from the book?
A: Above all, my hope is that readers have fun tearing through this delicious story! The pages explore plenty of deeper themes like truth, identity, and friendship.
As an anxious teen growing up, I found escapism and comfort in the absurdity of B movies and self-aware horror and thrillers – they allowed me to explore the sharper edges of teenage life in a safe way, and offered an outlet for my emotions. My hope is that Killing Sadie provides a similar outlet for readers.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: This is still super secret, but I can say that a new book is arriving summer 2027! Hint: If you love the little touch of equestrian life shown by our characters Jayne and Evan in Killing Sadie, you will 100 percent fall for this new thriller!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I love nothing more than dropping into book clubs and library or class discussions. If you want to see Killing Sadie as part of your next group read, my author website is a good place to start! But aside from that, I just know the barn party at the old McClain family farm is going to be killer – see you there!
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment