Jonathan Graziano is the author of the new children's picture book Milton Makes a Move. His other books include Noodle and the No Bones Day. He lives in Rochester, New York.
Q: Why did you decide to write a picture book about your dog Milton?
A: The first two books I published are the proudest achievements of my life, so
the idea of being able to add a third to that roster was unreal to me when I
got the news we were going to publish. Dogs are so special, and I think they
make the perfect main character for storytelling!
Q: How would you describe the dynamic between you and Milton--both in real life and in the book?
A: Our dynamic in the book and in real life are the exact same. Part of what inspired this story is how Milton went from being an apprehensive and anxious dog into one who came out of his shell and started to want to go on adventures. I thought staying true to reality was the most effective way to tell an authentic story.
Q: What do you think Dan Tavis’s illustrations add to the story?
A: Dan tells the story! The illustrations in a children's book are what tells a
story, I fully believe this. The words I wrote help give the parents reading
the book something to do while their kids fall headfirst into the incredible
scenes Dan creates. He captures emotions so well...I've heard from both parents
and kids that they can't believe how stunning these books are.
Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book?
A: The theme I chose for this book is "bravery," so my hope is that
any kid who reads this learns or at least begins to learn that being brave can come
in all shapes and sizes.
Milton learns about bravery through his move to come live with me in the story, but if a kid is starting a new school, or trying to make new friends, or anything that involves change, I want them to see that if Milton can do it, they can too.
Q: What are you working on now? Will there be more stories about Milton?
A: Oh man, I sure hope so! I'd write books about my dogs forever if I could.
With our new book Milton Makes a Move coming out on August 4, I've been mostly focused
on that of late. That said, I have two ideas in mind for what Milton's next
story could be. We'll see if they ever get to come to life. 🥹
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: Adopt don't shop! And look for the old ones!
--Interview with Deborah Kalb

.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment