Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Q&A with Deirdre Sullivan

 


 

Deirdre Sullivan is the author of the new children's picture book Gussie & Max: A Sweet Story of First Friendships. Her other books include Ming Goes to School. She lives in Boston.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Gussie and Max?

 

A: Funny you should ask that question! This book was inspired by two of my girls.

 

My youngest daughter Cece would often reminisce about what she could and couldn’t do as a young child. It would always make me laugh because she sounded like an old lady thinking about something that happened in her youth.

 

Also, my other daughter Lila who is turning 16 still has her lovie and will most likely take it to college. So a little bit of hanging onto something dear to her as a child, but still tackling life as it comes her way.

 

Q: How would you describe the friendship between Gussie and Max?

 

A: I love their relationship, and how they support and encourage each other through the challenges they face, but also embrace their accomplishments.


Q: What do you think Lisa M. Griffin's illustrations add to the story?

 

A: I am in love with her illustrations. When I wrote the story I always envisioned children, but when Lisa suggested animals there was no looking back!

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book?

 

A: I hope they take a moment to appreciate all the little accomplishments they have every day, and also are excited about what they are about to embark on.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I have four girls from the ages of 10-18, and they are always more source of inspiration. So right now I am working on a book about befriending a ghost, which my kids are convinced there is one living in our house! Which has been entertaining until they wake me up at 2am, because they think they have heard a noise.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y., and I am a diehard Bills fan. For the last 25 years I have made my husband get Direct TV so we could see all of the games. Up until recently, he would always ask me if we still needed it, because they have been so bad. My answer would always be the same… “Yes! Because this could be their year!” Well, I can finally say this and believe it… This could be their year!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment