Monday, January 9, 2023

Q&A with Theresa tha S.O.N.G.B.I.R.D.

 

Photo by Derrick Dean Photography

 

 

Theresa tha S.O.N.G.B.I.R.D. is the author of the new children's picture book You So Black. A poet, motivational speaker, and vocalist, she lives in Atlanta.

 

Q: What inspired you to write You So Black?

A: You So Black was inspired from my hopes to instill people of color with self-love while disarming ideas meant to demean us. I want us to feel empowered in our culture, contributions, and experiences.

Q: What do you think London Ladd’s illustrations add to the book?

A: London Ladd’s illustrations bring color and movement that matches the vibrance of the text. Every depiction is filled with detail and depth that makes it easy for the reader to linger over each page and see themselves within the artwork.

 

Q: The book is based on your spoken word poem--how did this book come about?

A: The coming together of  this children’s book is the work of editor Denene Millner. She believed that my poem would do well with young readers and she truly had a vision for how to bring this book into fruition. I am so grateful for her guidance over this process.

 

Q: What do you hope people take away from the book?

A: I hope that after finishing You So Black readers feel that they are valuable and know that their lives, their being brings light to the world.  

 

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I am currently working on a new children’s book that is also being expanded into a scripted series, as well as touring across the country as a poet, motivational speaker, and vocalist. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: I would like to thank London Ladd and Denene Millner for all of their hard work in bringing this book into the hands of young people. Thank you tremendously for the opportunity to talk about my book!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment