Saturday, January 28, 2023

Q&A with Avery Flynn

 

Photo by Passion Pages.Annie Ray

 

 

Avery Flynn is the author of the new novel Witcha Gonna Do?. Her other novels include Back in the Burbs. She lives in the Washington, D.C., area.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Witcha Gonna Do?, and how did you create your characters Tilda and Gil?

 

A: Well, I am a sucker for a paranormal romance and being able to toss in some magic along with shifters and mythical beasts? Oh yes, that is totally my kind of fun.

 

Tilda and Gil came together really naturally because for as much as they are opposites they are so much alike. And Tilda is a witch after my heart. She’s so positive even though she thinks she is always failing. I love that through the story she really finds herself and realizes that she was amazing all along (magic or no magic).

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Tilda and the rest of her family?

 

A: As the youngest sister myself, I know what being the baby of the family is like. I couldn’t imagine her sisters wouldn’t look at Tilda as both the one to be protected and the one to pick on all at the same time. It is the way of sisters. The thing about the Sherwoods is that despite all of the family dynamics, they really all love each other so much and really would do anything for each other.


Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: So many changes! I knew how the book would end and it stayed that way but there were a lot of changes in the middle. I forever have trouble sticking to the plan. I’m always going on a tangent.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story?

 

A: That we’re all a little bit magic, even when we don’t feel like it—maybe especially when we don’t feel like it.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: Well, there’s another Sherwood story coming and it involves a secret marriage, divorce papers that never get signed, and some second-chance love. OH! And there’s a classic Caddy named Bessie, fins included.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Thank you so much for having me and I really hope everyone has a good time with Witcha Gonna Do!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment