Friday, April 5, 2024

Q&A with Lauren Stohler

 


 

 

Lauren Stohler is the author and illustrator of Gnome and Rat: Time to Party!, a new graphic novel for kids. Her other books include the first in the series, Gnome and Rat

 

Q: Gnome and Rat: Time to Party! is the second in your Gnome and Rat series--how did you come up with these characters, and did you know it would be a series before you created the first book?


A: Gnome and Rat came from a series of stories my husband and I would tell each other on long walks during the peak of Covid shutdowns. We were in dire need of humor, so the unspoken rules were “funny” and “happy.”


If I recall correctly, I initially pitched a single book to my agent, Thao Le, who suggested we prep a second and third book prior to submission. The final deal was for all three books, so I knew at that point that it would be a series!

Q: Did you focus on the illustrations first or the text--or both simultaneously?

A: I usually go back and forth. First, I write the story long-form (this helps me find the beats and page turns in the text).

 

Then, as I sketch, I rewrite the story/text to make sure that everything fits together: beats match page turns, jokes land (hopefully!), speech bubbles fit into panels, etc. I might realize that certain bits don't work, or I’ll think of a completely different bit to add.

 

Finally, after sketching is done, I write my script directly from the sketches. Then it all goes for more editing!

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Gnome and Rat?

A: Happy to be there!


Gnome and Rat are out to assume the best of each other, and they’re right. They aren’t the same (and in many ways, they’re not even similar) but they’re very much alike in terms of the world they want to live in, which is positive, fruitful, and rich.


One of the things that really influenced my idea of Gnome and Rat was Bruce Alexander’s concept of Rat Park (developed as part of a series of studies in the 1970s). Alexander’s general idea was that an enriched environment (a “Rat Park”) is crucial to sentient wellbeing.

 

I wanted Gnome and Rat to be the product of a Rat Park that was fundamentally available — not aspirational, or for purchase, or gate-kept. How would that feel? How could that feel for us all?

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story?

A: Joy!

Gnome and Rat is about being joyful in a bunch of different ways: quietly, loudly, adventurously, closely, seriously, and (very important!!!) UN-seriously.


Can you feel sad, joyfully? Angry, joyfully? Maybe not, but I think you can experience it from the perspective that you will eventually return to joy, and I think Gnome and Rat are great at helping each other get there.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I’m attempting a chapter book, which is new to me! There's also a long-term project that I'm trying to figure out how to put to paper. I’m VERY excited that the second and third Gnome and Rat books come out this year (mostly because I’m very impatient and can’t wait too long for anything)!

And finally, I’m working on my pizza crust recipe.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: That I couldn’t do this work without luck, opportunity, and incredible people conspiring on my behalf, and I’m very, very grateful for it all!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment