Friday, April 5, 2024

Q&A with Brandon Hoàng

 


 

 

Brandon Hoàng is the author of the new young adult novel Gloria Buenrostro Is Not My Girlfriend. Also a television writer, he lives in Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Gloria Buenrostro Is Not My Girlfriend, and how did you create your character Gary?

 

A: My agent, Alyssa Jennette, had me meet with an editor at FSG, Trisha de Guzman, who was looking for stories about toxic masculinity. I had a half-of-a-sort-of-a idea that I soft pitched to her over the phone. It was something that had happened to me a few weeks prior that I couldn't shake...

 

One weekend I was tasked with cleaning out my old steamer trunk where I keep all sorts of odds and ends that have sentimental value to me. I came across an old shoebox brimming with handwritten notes that I'd kept all the way back from fourth grade.

 

When I began reading them, a wave of melancholy bowled me over -- specifically, the notes that I had exchanged with a friend of mine who was the inspiration for Gloria. In the letters from my friend, she apologized to me for reciprocating romantic feelings and wished we could remain friends.

 

Reading these as an adult, I wondered what kind of friendship I'd missed out on by not allowing myself to let go of my embarrassment and scorned feelings. At the time, I didn't have a compass or a guide on how to navigate my emotional storm.

 

This is how the seeds of Gloria were planted -- I wanted to write a story about a rejection and heartbreak, and how a boy can pick up the pieces and move on for the sake of keeping a meaningful friendship. It's a story I wished I had when I was Gary's age.

 

Gary is somewhat based on me when I was younger. I had a lot of big feelings growing up and I always gravitated to those books that featured boys grappling with complicated feelings (e.g. Jesse in Bridge to Terabithia, Bradley Chalkers in There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, Leo in Stargirl, etc). I guess you could say that Gary is a tribute to those protagonists who had a profound effect on me.  

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Gary and Gloria?

 

A: Gary and Gloria are essentially two lonely souls that don't realize that they're lonely until they find one another. Gary has his friend Preston, but that's not the friendship that he needs. Gloria is surrounded by admirers, but she needs someone who will truly listen to her.

 

They're friends who come into each other's lives right when they need a friend the most. They feed each other, they lean on each other, they see each other for who they really are. Everything you're supposed to do for your best friend.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book said, “This is a sincere story of unexpected bonds and self-discovery. The lightness of the summer adventures is balanced by raw, honest conversations and depictions of Gary’s poverty and Gloria’s parents’ conflicts.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: Short answer -- I'd have that Kirkus quote tattooed on my back if I could! Kirkus really got it right and honed in on exactly what I'd hoped readers would take away from this book. I actually clutched my heart and breathed a sigh of relief when I first read that review.

 

Gary is going through his own struggle that most people in his life aren't privy to. And Gloria absolutely is hiding her own turmoil... until she finds a friend in Gary. Individually, both Gary and Gloria don't know who they are until they find each other.

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: From its inception, I knew that Gloria and Gary would end up together, but not in a romantic way.

 

One major change that happened was that I originally intended the story to take place over a series of years -- starting from fourth grade, following Gloria and Gary through middle school, before finally ending at the summer before senior year.

 

My editor thought the scope was too big and suggested I keep the story to a single summer. She was right, of course!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I have a few projects on the horizon. My first middle grade debuts this summer, called The Crossbow of Destiny (Scholastic). I recently wrapped up writing on a graphic novel coming out in 2026 titled The Secret of Athria: The Inventor’s Eye (IDW). Now I'm trying to whip up another graphic novel proposal and am currently revising a YA manuscript to sell (crosses fingers).

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Just thank you to everyone who took a chance on this book. If you'd like to read more, I did an in-depth interview with The Seattle Times.

 

Lastly, the paperback for Gloria Buenrostro Is Not My Girlfriend comes out on June 25 and it comes with some bonus material (there's a discussion guide and if you can't wait for this summer, you can peek at it on my website). 

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment