Saturday, April 13, 2024

Q&A with Noa Nimrodi


 

 

Noa Nimrodi is the author of the middle grade novel Not So Shy. Also an illustrator, she lives in Southern California.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Not So Shy, and how did you create your character Shai?

 

A: The inspiration for Not So Shy came from my own life experiences. As a child, I moved back and forth from Israel to the USA twice, and as a grownup, I moved again from Israel to San Diego with my husband and kids.

 

My daughter Shai (yes, I shamelessly stole her name for my main character) was 12 years old when we moved, and the fictional Shai is inspired by her.

 

When developing Shai’s character for the book, I “borrowed” character traits, emotions, and some true events from all my three kids, and through the process, I realized I was also tapping into my 12-year-old self.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book called it “[t]ouching, tender, and heartbreaking.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I’m flattered and appreciative of these words coming from such a reputable resource as Kirkus Review.

 

I think this description beautifully captures the emotional aspects of the book, but for those who haven’t read it yet, I promise more than just heartbreak. You might cry, but you’ll also be laughing all the way to a satisfying ending.

 

Q: How was the novel’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: I have to give credit to my critique partner, Linda Kao (shout-out to Linda and her awesome supernatural YA debut, A Crooked Mark, which came out right around the time Not So Shy did, in mid-2023).

 

My critique group and I were brainstorming ideas for a title, looking for something that would have a wordplay of my character’s name and its English meaning (in Hebrew, Shai, pronounced Shy, means gift). Linda’s suggestion seemed like the perfect fit. 

 

The title signifies Shai’s struggle to stay true to herself when moving to the other end of the world. She was never shy back in Israel, but she fears that maybe in the US, where everything seems so different, she might not be who she always was (not so shy; not quite herself—Shai).

 

Q: What do you think the story says about the concept of home?

 

A: The main thing the story says about the concept of home is that it can be in more than one place. I did not set out to write the story with this intentional theme, but I recognized through the process of crafting the story that I was exploring the meaning of home.

 

I hope that, amongst other takeaways readers might have, they will also find their own answers for what home means to them.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on another contemporary middle grade novel which explores the dangers and consequences of “fake news” and misconceptions.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: As an Israeli/American author who wrote a book about an Israeli girl moving from Israel (who, amongst other challenges, deals with antisemitism), I would be remiss not to mention the current situation in Israel and its ramifications for American Jews.

 

I am pro-Palestine and pro-Israel (yes, these two aren’t mutually exclusive!). I am pro-coexistence and pro-eliminating Hamas.

 

War is always horrible for all sides involved, but Israel has a right to defend its existence. After the atrocities of October 7, it has been made clear that Hamas has every intention to execute its charter, which calls for the obliteration of the state of Israel, and Israel must dismantle Hamas’s ability to do so.

 

It saddens me deeply that misinformation and misconceptions have led many to condemn Israel, despite the IDF’s effort to minimize harm to Palestinian civilians (unfortunately, Hamas intentionally locates its forces in hospitals and heavily populated areas).

 

Sadly, the events also led to a tremendous rise of antisemitism, which is a threat to American Jews and Jews worldwide.

 

134 hostages are still held by Hamas, among them children, women, and sick elders. Please know that their lives are in danger with every day that passes. Please know that they (those from the Kibbutzim bordering Gaza) are some of Israel’s biggest peace activists! not colonizers, not settlers, not haters! Just humans wanting to coexist in peace. 

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment