Ryan Cowan is the author of the middle grade novel Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal and an accompanying book, Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal Activity Book. He is also a longtime educator.
Q: Why did you decide to create an activity book to accompany your novel Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal?
A: I created the Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal Activity Book during the pandemic. It started off as a few lessons that I would post on Facebook to help parents/readers teach their kids while reading the novel.
The momentum kept going, and I decided to write a lesson for every chapter in the novel. Eventually I had an entire book.
Q: The book is geared toward kids in grades 3-5--do you see them as the key audience for the novel as well?
A: Yes and no. In some ways, I see the novel as a perfect escape for adults too. I don’t limit myself in terms of who should read my book. Anyone who wants to read a Halloween adventure and enjoy a simple book during the Halloween season would enjoy Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal.
However, I purposely edited the sentences into simple sentences to help any struggling fluent child reader fully comprehend the plot.
Q: How has your background as a teacher affected the creation of your books?
A: My background as a teacher influences the dialogue in my books, the characters’ wants and needs, Mr. Moonbeam’s personality, the classroom setting and so much more. I draw heavily from my work and try to write dialogue that is true to what it’s like to be an elementary teacher – based on my own experience.
Additionally, Mr. Moonbeam’s patience, understanding, and charisma are all shaped by my teaching career. To me, he is the teacher every kid would want. He is also a teacher that every kid would respect because he is a role model.
One of the best things about being an elementary teacher is celebrating holidays. Halloween is a wonderful holiday to celebrate as a teacher, so I wanted to capture the joy of the holiday and how it connects to schools and the teaching profession each year across the world.
Q: What do you hope kids take away from the activity book?
A: A deeper understanding of the plot and a better understanding and use of academic language. The questions in the activity book challenge kids to think critically about the book and make inferences, draw conclusions, make judgements and evaluate the characters actions, words, motivations, etc…
In this way, kids and parents can work together to build essential comprehension skills that will help their children develop higher-level thinking skills.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: In addition to my career as a school administrator, I am actively working with editors on the sequel, Mr. Moonbeam and the Legends of Moonstone. I am also promoting Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal.
The sequel has been a major puzzle and a difficult book to write. I can’t wait to release it. Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal returns each Halloween, and for that, I am grateful.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I just want to thank everyone who reads my books. It means a lot to me that people take the time to read my stories. It means a lot to me that kids learn and acquire valuable skills from my books.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Ryan Cowan. This Q&A was conducted in partnership with Ryan Cowan. Readers who follow along on this virtual book tour will have the chance to win a signed Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal book set! Ten winners will each receive a signed hardcover copy of the novel paired with its companion Activity Book. One grand-prize winner will receive an exclusive Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal T-shirt, plus a signed, out-of-print copy of the original edition featuring its original cover design.



No comments:
Post a Comment