Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Q&A with Ann D. Koffsky

 


 

 

Ann D. Koffsky is the author of the new children's picture book Ping-Pong Shabbat: The True Story of Champion Estee Ackerman. Her many other books include the Kayla and Kugel series.

 

Q: Why did you decide to write Ping-Pong Shabbat, and how did you learn about young ping-pong champion Estee Ackerman?

 

A: Estee lives in the same neighborhood as I do, and we often go to the same synagogue. I heard about her amazing story in the community—we were all so proud of her!

 

Q: What do you think Abigail Rajunov’s illustrations add to the book?

 

A: So much! Energy. Warmth. And I love how she created an illustration that shows the ping-pong table joined with the Shabbat table. It really shows Estee’s heart in that one image.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review called the book a “noteworthy tale of a young Jewish athlete taking a personal stand.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I love it! There are so many Jewish athlete books about historical Jewish athletes, like Sandy Koufax and Hank Greenberg. I’m excited to bring this story of a contemporary athlete to kids too.

 

Q: Has Estee read the book, and what does she think about it?

 

A: Yes! I interviewed her extensively to write the book, and shared it with her the minute I had an arc [advance reader copy]. She’s excited about it too!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on the next book in my Kayla and Kugel series with Apples and Honey Press, and a new book about Mel Brooks with Intergalatic Afikoman.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Thanks for asking. I guess if folks want to follow me on Instagram over here https://www.instagram.com/annkoffsky/. And they can also sign up to receive my free Jewish coloring pages on my substack here. https://coloringjewish.substack.com/.

 

Thank you so much for sharing my book with your readers!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Ann D. Koffsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment