Friday, July 12, 2024

Q&A with Terri Libenson

 

 

 

Terri Libenson is the author and illustrator of the new middle grade graphic novel
Always Anthony. It's the latest in her Emmie & Friends series. She lives in Cleveland.

 

 

Q: Why did you choose Anthony and Leah as your protagonists in your latest Emmie & Friends story, Always Anthony?

 

A: I really enjoy changing up the main characters in this little universe of Lakefront Middle School. That means rotating existing characters or making up brand new ones.

 

In the acknowledgments section of some of the newer books, I started asking readers to suggest their favorite characters to use as protagonists. Anthony was requested a lot, and I felt he deserved his own story. I chose Leah to star opposite him because I wanted someone very different in nature, and she was a great fit.

 

I loved how their personalities emerged and blossomed together. I also love how they – as two people who appear to have nothing in common --  develop an unlikely friendship (those are the best).

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between these two characters?

 

A: At first, I would describe it as negatively charged and awkward. Anthony thinks of Leah as a socially awkward brown-noser from their earlier days in elementary school. As for Leah, Anthony’s popularity makes him completely intimidating to her.

 

Luckily, as they get to really know each other (through tutoring sessions), they get past these perceptions and begin to develop a genuine friendship.

 

Q: What do you think the novel says about bullying?

 

A: I think bullying is unfortunately relatable and tricky to a lot of kids. I’ve tackled emotional and verbal bullying in other books (i.e. ghosting, name calling, exclusion), but this is the first time I’ve written about physical bullying.

 

I wanted to approach it more from a bystander’s perspective. Leah and Anthony witness a bullying event, and the story is really about how they deal with it. They each have their own reactions; Leah is triggered from her own past bullying incidents and Anthony feels torn because the bullies are his basketball teammates.

 

So the story poses the question of “What would YOU do?” I hope it helps young readers explore that question themselves. 

 

Q: The illustrations in your books always have such great little details--how do you come up with those ideas?

 

A: Well, thank you! Honestly, I just try to amuse myself when I’m drawing. I hope that translates into readers being entertained, too.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on a few projects this year: one is an illustrated humor book for adults (not sure if it’ll go anywhere, so I’d rather not reveal anything about it). I’m also about to start the final art on Book 9 in the Emmie & Friends series, which I’m very excited about.

 

In addition, I’ll be getting back to on an ongoing project: a graphic novel about the Spanish Inquisition told from the perspective of a young Jewish girl. That’s been in the works forever, but I try to squeeze it in between my series books. Maybe I’ll finish that in the next decade…?

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Sure! You can order Always Anthony and any of the other series books through my website. There are lots of other fun links and menu options for kids and families there, too.

 

Also, thank you, Deborah, as always!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Terri Libenson.

No comments:

Post a Comment