Friday, July 19, 2024

Q&A with Jaclyn Westlake

 


 

 

Jaclyn Westlake is the author of the new novel Dear Dotty. Her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including Forbes, and she lives in California.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Dear Dotty, and how did you create your character Rosie?

 

A: I remember my early 20s so vividly – I felt alive, hopeful, and excited for my life to start but was also completely lost. That phase of my life was filled with lots of “fake it til you make it” moments, which I think is a common experience for a lot of younger adults (older adults, too if we’re being honest!). Early adulthood is when most people finally start to meet their true selves, which I find fascinating.

 

I wanted to capture that experience in a book, and that’s where Rosie came from. She’s an amalgamation of my younger self, my friends, and so many of the recent graduates I met throughout my career as a recruiter. Rosie is doing her best to be a grown-up in the traditional sense but doing it everyone else’s way doesn’t quite fit. I thought it would be fun to revisit that phase of life and also to give Rosie an older, wiser, kookier mentor to light the way.

 

Q: How would you describe the relationship between Dotty and Rosie?

 

A: Dotty and Rosie’s relationship is honest, pure, accepting, supportive, fun, and authentic. They may not always agree with each other or understand where the other is coming from, but they love and respect each other unconditionally. It’s a really beautiful dynamic.

 

It’s a bit of wish fulfillment for me, too. I would have loved to have a Dotty when I was Rosie’s age and I hope to be a Dotty for someone else someday.

 

Q: The writer Swati Hegde said of the novel, “Equal parts heart and humor, Dear Dotty is a tribute to family, friendship, and becoming the person you were always meant to be.” What do you think of that description, and what do you see as the role of humor in the book?

 

A: Swati captured the essence of Dear Dotty more beautifully than I ever could! Becoming an adult is such an interesting process – you’re working toward being the most authentic version of yourself while also gaining a new understanding and appreciation for your family and friends.

 

We’re all constantly evolving and I think the best relationships are the ones that allow for space and understanding as those changes happen, which Rosie and the people in her life ultimately do – albeit imperfectly.


I love finding humor in everyday situations, so infusing moments of levity into the story felt natural. The book deals with grief, evolving friendships, career setbacks, and shifting family dynamics, which can be heavier topics and I think the humorous portions serve to keep the story from feeling too dark. It’s ultimately a hopeful, uplifting book, which I think is buoyed by the occasional dose of comedic relief.

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I knew that the novel would end with Rosie back at Dotty’s house and that she would find a unique way to honor her great-aunt, but I didn’t know how she would get there or what it would look like when she did. I think that’s more or less my writing process – I know the general direction of where I’m trying to end up and I get to discover the story along the way.

 

The book changed drastically from the first to the second draft – I’d originally written Rosie into a love triangle but cut one of the guys (RIP Nathan) so we could focus on her relationship with Donovan.

 

I also had Dotty passing away much later in the story (now she dies within the first third) and I’d written a storyline where Dotty had a secret career as an erotic novelist (which I cut for time). None of those are spoilers – they’ll never see the light of day!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on my second book, which will be out in the summer of 2025. This story follows Eliza Colletti, (who is a bit older than Rosie) as she tries to build a new life for herself in a quirky Midwestern lake town on the heels of a broken engagement. I’m really excited for readers to meet this new cast of characters – Eliza’s neighbors are especially fun! She also finds herself adopting a three-legged dog named Potato who loves watching CSI Miami and hates corn.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I’m so grateful to anyone who decides to pick up my book. I hope it makes you feel seen! Whatever your life looks like, you’re doing fine. You don’t have to be like everyone else. Honestly, it’s way more fun to be unique.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment