Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Q&A with Sadeqa Johnson

 


 

 

Sadeqa Johnson is the author of the novel The House of Eve, which is now available in paperback. Her other novels include Yellow Wife. She lives near Richmond, Virginia.

 

Q: A review of The House of Eve in The Washington Post by Carole V. Bell says, “At its heart, this is a powerfully immersive story of Black love and feminine ambition constantly challenged but never diminished.” What do you think of that assessment?

 

A: The House of Eve is a novel about ambitious women who refused to give up on their dreams. It is very much about love and the challenges that all women faced during this time period and even still today. I’d have to say I agree.

 

Q: How was the novel's title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: The title The House of Eve was born in [the character] Eleanor’s imagination. It’s a pivotal reference to an event that ultimately changes Eleanor’s life forever.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: Writing is like breathing for me and when I don’t write I’m pretty cranky.

 

I’ve just started mining the seeds of another historical novel that takes place in the 1940s thru the 1960s. I’ve discovered an unsung hero who has set my soul on fire and I cannot wait to see how the narrative plays out.  All I can say is stay tuned.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: The House of Eve will be published in paperback on Feb. 6, 2024, and I will be on tour. Please go to my website to learn more, www.sadeqa.net or follow me on Instagram, @SadeqaSays.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Sadeqa Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment