Friday, October 6, 2023

Q&A with D.P. Behling

 


 

 

D.P. Behling is the author of the new novel The Path of One, the first in his Josh & Sen Save the Multiverse series. A physician and attorney, he lives in Hawaii.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Path of One?

A: The pandemic had a tremendous effect on the entire world. This was particularly true in third-world countries that relied on tourism for their incomes.

In 2021, we were visiting family in Bali, and we saw how desperate the people were for help and hope. My wife and I have a tremendous love for the Balinese people. We invested in our local community with time and funds.

 

But somehow my word-fevered mind wondered what it would be like to have a couple of guys who in our time of need would go to the mattresses for us all. It triggered in me the idea of Josh and Sen Saving the Multiverse.

 

So, incredibly, at least to me, I started working on a goal I’d had since I was a kid in high school but had long forgotten. I began writing.

Q: How did you create the world you write about in the novel?

A: What a great question! And believe me, I’m as surprised about what comes out on my laptop screen as anyone sometimes :)

I’d like to think that I have a healthy grounding in the classic mythologies of some cultures (helical, germanic, and Hindi.)

I am also a Sci/fi-Fantasy-Videogame-Aphile! I love exploring worlds and universes created by authors, screenwriters, movie producers and game developers.

 

I’d like to think that after journeying through so many incredibly rich and inspiring lands conceptualized by others, I was able to make/find a place of my own. Hopefully with rules that are fair and lead to good things happening to good people who work toward what is right.

 

I like happy endings for people who deserve them, which is all of us who don’t wish harm on others.

I truly wish for readers to enjoy my universe as much as I enjoy creating it!

I also love constructive feedback and would very much appreciate any comments about the universe I’m creating.

Thanks for the question!

Q: How would you describe the relationship between Josh and Sen?

A: Henry David Thoreau wrote, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” And to a great extent I have found this to be true of the men I have known. It’s the same for Josh and Sen. Neither of them are used to relying on or even having anyone to help. They have had no one to confide in, no one to trust.

Then they are thrust into a situation where they are forcibly joined at the hip and need each other to accomplish something that they both desperately want, but would be impossible alone.

 

On top of this, their thoughts, hopes, and fears are all immediately known by the other and there is no place to hide their mortal failings away like most humans tend to do.

This relationship could have gone several ways. Many of them are less than comfortable. In Josh & Sen Save the Multiverse: The Path of One, through trials and hardships, they learn to trust and rely on each other and grow toward a budding brotherhood.

 

The relationship continues to grow through the next two books and I am currently starting the fourth. But, it’s a long way to Immortal Transcendence. We’ll have to see what bumps they encounter along the way.

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it?

A: Ha! Another great question! The truth is, I usually don’t even know what is going to happen in a given chapter until I write it, edit it, think about it and write and edit it again :) So no, I didn't know how it would end before I started.

 

Like life, Josh and Sen’s adventure to Save the Multiverse is fraught with uncertainty and the spontaneous instability from the uncountable variables caused by the passage of other spirit beings through reality. In short, life’s randomness is beautiful in its chaos and I try to reflect that in Josh & Sen Save the Multiverse.

Q: What's next in the series?


A: I’m presently finishing the copyedit of Josh & Sen Save the Multiverse Book 2: Karma and Bigger Fish. It should be released in February or early March of 2024. If people like The Path of One, I think they will like Karma and Bigger Fish.

 

For sure, Josh and Sen’s adventures and growth continue. The story advances for Sophie and Alysa to also play their major parts. Josh and Sen start to see that they really are tiny cogs in the enormous clock workings of the universe.

 

But it doesn’t deter them. It just makes them all the more determined to get stronger to make the necessary meaningful difference around them :).

I have also finished primary writing on Josh & Sen Save the Multiverse Book 3: The Lover’s Trove and expect it to come out August or early September 2024.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: Thank you very much! It’s been great going through these questions!

I’d love to hear from anyone with any questions or that has an interest in Josh & Sen. Our contact is:

Instagram Account: https://www.instagram.com/davidbehlingauthor/ 

Facebook Account: https://www.facebook.com/David.Behling.Author/

And/or at Joshandsen.com

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment