Monday, August 12, 2024

Q&A with Stella Sands

 


 

 

Stella Sands is the author of the new novel Wordhunter. Her other books include The Good Son. She lives in Sag Harbor, New York.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Wordhunter, and how did you create your character Maggie?

 

A: I’d been writing true-crime books for a decade and felt I needed a change. It’s emotionally draining to meet murderers in prison and it’s both emotionally draining and heartbreaking to meet with victims’ families. I needed to chart a new course.

 

Q: The writer Alafair Burke said of the book, “If you love words, puzzles, or just a well-crafted story, you will love Wordhunter.” What do you think of that assessment?

 

A: Alafair Burke is exactly right. There are many sentence diagrams to decode, as well as many words and phrases to analyze (forensic linguistics) to see what clues they give about the writer or speaker, for instance: Where is the person from? How old he/she might be? Male or female? Education level? Ransom notes, notes left at crime scenes, telephone calls—all can offer important clues.


Q: How was the novel’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: I had watched the series Mindhunter, in which the FBI attempts to get inside the mind of a serial killer to figure out how he’s thinking. I thought Wordhunter would be a perfect title because my protagonist attempts to get inside the mind of killers through the words they speak and write.

 

Q: Did you know how the story would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: No, I didn’t know how the story would end. I just kept inching forward little by little until it became clear to me who the bad guy was.


Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m writing a sequel to Wordhunter.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment