Sunday, July 19, 2020

Q&A with Christiane Dorion


Christiane Dorion is the author of the new children's picture book Darwin's Rival: Alfred Russel Wallace and the Search for Evolution. Her other books include Into the Forest and How Plants Work. Originally from Quebec, she lives in the UK.

Q: Why did you decide to write a picture book about 19th century naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace?

A: I came across Alfred Russel Wallace while researching another book in the archives of the Natural History Museum in London. Looking through original diaries and notebooks of Victorian naturalists, I stumbled upon Wallace’s collections of beetles and butterflies and was blown away by the huge variety of specimens.

I wanted to know more about what drove him to explore little-known parts of the world and collect hundreds of thousands of specimens in tropical jungles.

Reading his travel books and biographies, I became fascinated by Wallace, not only as an extraordinary naturalist who made one of the greatest scientific discoveries of all time – the theory of evolution by natural selection - but also by his adventures, his curiosity, and his love of nature.

I thought that a beautiful picture book about his life and expeditions could help engage children with science and encourage them to discover the world around them. We live in a rapidly changing world and I feel that Wallace can provide a strong role model for children in terms of his resilience and optimism.

Q: How would you describe the relationship between Charles Darwin and Wallace?

A: What could have become a bitter rivalry with Darwin over who first discovered the theory of evolution ended up as a long and friendly relationship, thanks to Wallace’s great humility.

When he found out that Darwin had published the theory in his book On the Origin of Species, not only did Wallace approve, but he wrote how grateful and honoured he was to have contributed to such an amazing discovery. Others might have been less humble.

Darwin wrote: “Very few things in my life have been more satisfactory to me – that we have never felt any jealousy towards each other, though in one sense rivals.” This gave me the idea for the title.

Q: How did you research the book, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

A: I was fortunate to have access to the archives of the Natural History Museum and be able to look through Wallace’s original notebooks, letters and collections of specimens.

I am very grateful to Dr George Beccaloni, founder of the Wallace Memorial Fund, who helped to make sure that the images were accurate, from the instruments Wallace used on his expeditions to the clothes he was wearing to the specimens he collected.

When I completed the book, I had the opportunity to meet Wallace’s grandson and great-granddaughter, an experience I will always treasure. It was wonderful to hear his grandson retelling the stories included in the book and to be given “full marks” for it!  It was amazing to see the same family traits of optimism, curiosity and humility.

One thing that particularly surprised me from my research was that Wallace also discovered a very important biogeographical concept, which we now call the “Wallace line,” the boundary that separates animal groups between Asia and Australasia. I had never come across this concept despite doing a degree in geography!

Q: What do you think Harry Tennant's illustrations add to the book?

A: I think Harry’s gorgeous illustrations make the book and it was a privilege to work with such a talented illustrator.

His detailed and atmospheric images make Wallace’s story spring to life and give the book the feel of a collector’s journal with detailed drawings of Victorian instruments, rich tropical scenes, expedition maps as well as collections of beetles, butterflies, and other specimens.

Harry starts with pencil drawings on paper, which are coloured digitally, using a limited colour palette and adding textures as in printmaking.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I am working on a fun book, Invented by Animals, illustrated by the wonderful Gosia Herba and published by Wide Eyed in the UK and US. It’s about how animals have inspired amazing inventions and technologies, from planes and self-driven cars to super-fast swimsuits, eco-friendly materials and cool robots.  The book is due out in April 2021 and I can’t wait to see it on the bookshelves!

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: All my books have a subtle environmental message about the importance of protecting the wonderful planet we live on. I am originally from Quebec, Canada, and my love of nature stems from the many camping trips and outdoor adventures I experienced as a child.

I am passionate about the natural world and, through my work, both as a writer and an education consultant, I hope I can inspire children to explore the world around them and to take positive action towards a sustainable future.

I am an optimist and believe that young people can change the world and create a future in which both people and nature can thrive. I hope we will emerge from this pandemic with a new perspective on the world and a better understanding of the need to protect our planet and its rich biodiversity.

You can find more information about my books and work on my website, www.christianedorion.com.

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment