Monday, July 20, 2020

Q&A with Brianna Wolfson


Brianna Wolfson is the author of the new novel That Summer in Maine. She also has written the novel Rosie Colored Glasses. She lives in San Francisco.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for That Summer in Maine, and for your cast of characters?

A: I knew I wanted to explore relationships in a mixed family because I come from one myself.

Q: One of the novel's settings is a lakeside house in Maine. How important is setting to you in your writing?

A: I have always liked stories where the setting almost plays the role of another character. I don't think I went quite this far for That Summer in Maine, but it was critical to the story that the main characters, Hazel and Eve, have their own, faraway, space to explore their new identities. 

Q: What do you think the novel says about ideas of family?

A: That biology is only one way to find connecting with a family member.  

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story?

A: Family is what everyone makes it. 

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I'm taking a bit of a writing break right now, but I hope to explore something non-fiction or potentially even YA or middle grade in the future. 

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: It's hard to find good data on the topic, but research I've seen suggests that up to 20 percent of families include step or half siblings. That's a lot!

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment