Amy Fellner Dominy is the author of the new children's picture book A House with No Door: A Sukkot Story. Her other books include Monster Down Deep. She lives in Phoenix.
Q: What inspired you to write A House with No Door?
A: I knew I wanted to write a story about a Jewish holiday, but which one? My happy place has always been outdoors, so it made sense that I was drawn to Sukkot. Also, it wasn't a holiday we celebrated at home when I was growing up. My synagogue had a sukkah and I helped decorate that, but I'd never built one.
So when I started researching how to build one, I was struck by how unique a sukkah is. It has so much historical significance, but also such a connection to nature.
Then I read that a sukkah has a minimum requirement of two full walls and part of a third wall. In other words, it doesn’t have to have four walls and a door. That’s what I was used to growing up in Phoenix, Arizona. Sukkahs were houses with no doors.
In a time when our society feels so closed off, I wanted to explore the idea the everyone is welcome in a house with no door.
Q: What are some of your favorite Sukkot traditions?
A: I love the idea of inviting in others. I’ve always taken that literally to mean welcoming neighbors and friends. I’ve since discovered that for some it’s also a welcome to spiritual guests. I say the more the merrier.
Q: What do you think Rotem Teplow’s illustrations add to the book?
A: I think her lovely illustrations are the perfect complement to the text. They bring readers into the story (and the sukkah) and invite them to hang out a while. There is just so much to see and explore in her art. It’s exactly the right feeling to go with the story.
Q: You’ve written for different age groups--do you have a preference?
A: I’ve published for teens, tweens, and toddlers, and I’ve always felt so fortunate that I could write widely. I’m drawn to a character or a story idea, and it doesn’t always fit into an age group or category.
That said, I especially love middle grade because that’s a time of life when kids are figuring out who they are and who they want to be.
And I couldn’t give up on writing picture books. They’re ridiculously hard to write considering how few words are on the page, but so rewarding. Sharing a picture book with an audience of young kids and hearing them laugh or sigh…watching them lean forward so they don’t miss a word…it’s one of the very best parts of being an author.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I’ve just finished a picture book about Shabbat that I hope will find a home. I’m also writing a new action-adventure middle grade about a Jewish character battling her fears and the challenges of nature.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: If you’re a librarian, parent or educator, I love to do visits. Reach out if you’re interested! Virtual visits are always an option. amy@amydominy.com
Also, I write a monthly newsletter about the journey of writing and life. I love welcoming new readers. Sign up at amydominy.com/newsletter.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Amy Fellner Dominy.


No comments:
Post a Comment