Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Q&A with Lisa Selin Davis


Photo by Marc Goldberg
Lisa Selin Davis is the author of the new book Tomboy: The Surprising History and Future of Girls Who Dare to Be Different. She also has written the novels Lost Stars and Belly, and her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. She lives in Brooklyn.


Q: Why did you decide to write about tomboys, and how would you define a tomboy?

A: I first wrote about the experience of my daughter not conforming to society's standards of what a girl should look like and do in an essay for Parenting, and later, in an op-ed for The New York Times, which focused on people assuming she was trans, when she called herself a tomboy.

There was a lot of backlash to and also a lot of support for that piece, and I spent a long time wading through both, trying to understand the intensity of emotion around gender generally and tomboys specifically. That attempt to understand became this book.

Tomboy is considered an outdated term now, but it once meant a girl who acted, and sometimes looked, like a boy. But that assumes that sportiness and short hair and independence really belong to boys, and we know that's not true. The question is, what replaces it? Some people think we should just use "girl." Others like "gender nonconforming." 

Q: What would you say are some of the most common perceptions and misperceptions about tomboys?

A: The most important thing to know about a kid who's not acting or dressing the way you thought they would, based on their body parts, is that it might be a phase, and it might not.

There's a longstanding stereotype that tomboys grow up to be lesbians. Well, sometimes they do! Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they come out as trans. Sometimes they're cis.

I would say the misconception is that childhood tomboyism is predictive of anything...except self-confidence. I did find that a lot of girls who ran with, looked like, we treated like boys, ended up with high self-esteem. 

Q: How did you research the book, and did you learn anything especially surprising?

A: I started by interviewing as many people as I could: people who had reached out to me. People I connected to via social media. Friends of friends. Anyone who currently or once claimed the mantle of tomboy.

Then I read through dozens of scholarly studies, and interviewed psychologists and sociologists and neuroscientists, trying to gather as many puzzle pieces as I could to make a picture of gender nonconformity. 

I think everything surprised me, but perhaps what impressed me the most was how children learn about gender, and how they understand stereotypes by age 3—but they don't know that they're cultural constructions. They think those are the real rules of girl and boyhood, and police each other accordingly, insisting that others conform.

It was shocking to me how early girls and boys learn that traditional femininity is to be looked down upon.

Q: You write that "the biological and the cultural are in a constant dance; sex, gender, and sexuality are independent and interdependent. What’s most natural, I believe, is diversity in all three." What do you see looking ahead?

A: That's a great question. Sometimes I see a glorious rainbow of understanding and acceptance. But usually I see confusion. I see endless culture wars. I see people with different definitions of man and woman and male and female duking it out in the courts and on school boards and in the hearts and minds of our citizens.

What I hope for is 1) to reduce the gendering of children's material worlds, and encourage them to gather as much as they can from both sides of the pink/blue divide, or to get rid of that divide altogether and 2) to accept that we can believe in different things and still respect and make room for each other. But it's a little hard to feel hopeful about that at this moment in history, I'll admit. 

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I am working on articles about what we're learning while we're at home—how are we seeing the world differently when it's upside down. I want to know how this period is changing us and how we see the world. 

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: Just that learning to see the world through other people's eyes is a gift and a challenge!

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment