Lindsay Lovise is the author of the new young adult novel Gingerbread Bones. Her other books include the novel Never Blow a Kiss. She lives in Maine.
Q: What inspired you to write Gingerbread Bones, and how did you create your character Georgie?
A: I had written a series of survival books for younger readers, and my agent loved them so much that she floated the idea of writing a book for teenagers that took place in the woods.
Once I started thinking on it, I knew I wanted to create a cast of teen characters that weren’t perfect, that were already written off by society and the adults in their lives. I wanted to show their growth and how they came together to survive. Some other plot aspects came later, but the core teens remained the same from the very first draft.
The book is told through Georgie’s perspective, and when I was crafting her reactions and dialogue, I had to do it through the lens of not only a teenager, but also a girl who’d suffered abandonment and had her own demons to battle. It was definitely a challenge at times, especially when her reactions didn’t reflect what my own would have been.
Q: How was the book’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?
A: Oftentimes book titles change (almost always, in my case), but this book was titled Gingerbread Bones from the very first chapters. There was some discussion about it possibly being too long, but ultimately everyone agreed it was the best title.
It’s a nod to the content of the book, and honestly kind of disturbing. Gingerbread is supposed to conjure memories of cookies and other sweet, innocent things. Adding bones made it feel almost wrong, which fit the book perfectly.
Q: The Kirkus Review of the book says, “The novel’s Survivor-esque reality TV vibe and dark fairy-tale horror make for a grimly propulsive read.” What do you think of that description?
A: I think the “grimly propulsive” part aligns with what readers have been telling me, and honestly I’m so honored. To be told Gingerbread Bones was the book they couldn’t put down, the book they took to the grocery store and that made them ignore adulting and stay up too late, is SUCH an honor.
I’ve had many books over the years do that to me, and there isn’t a bigger compliment for an author (in my opinion) than to be told that someone couldn't put your book down.
Q: This is a young adult novel--why did you decide to write for this audience?
A: Long before I became an adult author I wrote almost exclusively YA books, so it was really fun to have the chance to take another stab at it once I had an agent and had dipped my toes in publishing. I adore both adult and YA books, so it really feels like the best of both worlds to be able to publish for both audiences.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I officially have two more YA books coming, although they’re not yet announced so I can’t share too much about them. I’m also working on a couple more adult projects that I’m really looking forward to. I wish I could give more specifics, but just know there are more books on the way!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: Please visit my website, www.lindsaylovise.com, and sign up for my newsletter to be the first to see cover reveals. I also occasionally send out various bits of information/behind the scenes stuff that I don’t share anywhere else. I’m also most active on Instagram @lindsaylovise if you want to follow me there.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Lindsay Lovise.


No comments:
Post a Comment