Thursday, July 30, 2026

Q&A with Crystal AJ Smith

  


 

 

Crystal AJ Smith is the author of the new novel Gitwaałtk. She is Haisla, Ts’ymsen and was adopted into the Heiltsuk nation.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Gitwaałtk?

 

A: Gitwaałtk came from the ancestors I believe. I just began writing it 10 years ago and it evolved from a short story to a novel through time. 

 

Q: What do you see as the role of grief in the novel?

 

A: This is an interesting question. Grief is woven into Gitwaałtk as grief is woven in our reality. It is what grounds the story. 

 

Q: How did you create your protagonist?

 

A: My protagonist is a version of me that I wish existed. She had the extreme privilege to learn from her Dz'is (grandmother). To learn our traditional ways and stories, to learn our traditional language and be fluent. All things I wished for but was unable to attain. Though I am attempting to learn our traditional ways and language right now. 

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I had no idea where Gitwaałtk was going. I just put pen to paper and let it flow through me. It was a story that had asked me to write rather than a story I wrote. 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am currently working on a sequel to Gitwaałtk as well as a poetry collection. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Gitwaałtk took 10 years largely because I had to put it on the back burner often to deal with life events and provide for my children. I am so grateful that the story chose me and was so patient with me as I gathered the strength to listen to what needed to be written.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment